Brexit information for residents

5 March 2019
Waltham Forest Town Hall

Waltham Forest Council is committed to supporting residents and businesses as the UK prepares to leave the European Union.

We are working hard to ensure that the council services our residents and businesses rely on are prepared for the changes that Brexit will bring, including updating our business continuity plans to test them against the different scenarios that may occur. Waltham Forest has a long and proud history of welcoming people from all over the world and EU citizens will continue to be welcome and valued after the UK leaves the European Union.

Waltham Forest Council is keen to ensure that residents and businesses have the information that will help them as the UK prepares to Brexit, and to aid this we will continue to update this page as information becomes available.

There are also good sources of information from both Central Government and The Mayor of London.

UK Government advice here

Mayor of London’s advice here

As part of the arrangements for Brexit an EU and EEA wide agreement is in place to ensure that citizens currently living in the UK can apply to stay in the UK through a simple process. 

If you want to stay in the UK beyond 30 June 2021 (31 December 2020 in the event the UK leaves the European Union without a deal), you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. In the interim your rights will remain unchanged.

The EU Settlement Scheme will allow you and your family to continue to live, study and work in the UK. It means you will continue to be eligible for:

• public services, such as healthcare and schools
• public funds and pensions
• British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply

    Who Can Apply

    Whether you need to apply depends on your individual circumstances. Information on who should apply, and the eligibility criteria, can be found on the UK Government website here.

     How to Apply

    • To get your new immigration status, you will need to fill in a short online application form using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. 
    • The easiest way to do this is through the UK government’s  “EU Exit: ID Document Check” app which will require you to verify your identity:

    Identity verification

    • You’ll need a compatible Android phone or tablet if you want to scan your identity document yourself, this can be your own phone or tablet or someone else’s.
    • If your mobile phone or other device doesn’t have near field communication (NFC) you can make bring your ID document to us, where it can be scanned and verified for you. You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status.
    • We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.
    • There is no need to book an appointment.  Waltham Forest Council is providing this service as follows:

    Leytonstone Library

    Church Lane


    London E11 1HG

    Monday to Friday 9:30am to 6:30pm

    Saturday to 9:30am to 5:30pm



    Walthamstow Library

    High Street

    Walthamstow E17 7JN

    Monday to Friday 9:30am to 6:30pm

    Saturday to 9:30am to 5:30pm


    What to bring to your appointment

    • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
    • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email

    Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us

    The cost of council  providing this service is £14 per application.

    • If you are struggling to apply online you can contact the UK Government’s assisted digital service here.
    • The assisted digital service will establish if you would benefit from face-to-face help. If you would then this is will be booked for you at a Library in Waltham Forest. You can only book a face-to-face appointment though the Assisted Digital Team, as above.
    • Though there is plenty of time to apply it is important to check your particular circumstances to understand what you need to do. There is simple tool created by the UK Government for working out what you need to do here.
    • Locally the Citizens Advice Bureau offer a more general service for issues relating to migration and immigration, though you do not need to contact them in order to apply for Settled Status as above.
    • Find out more by visiting the webpage or call them on 0300 330 1175
    • Information about other immigration advisors can be found at the EU Londoners Hub here.
    • Finally, the EU has provided a helpful Q&A here that gives some examples of different family and individual situations.

    If you are an employer in Waltham Forest and currently employ EU nationals, or may do so in the future, the Government has created an employer’s toolkit with information on what you can do to support your employees through this process.

    Comprehensive guidance by business sector and more is available here

    The British Chambers of Commerce has also created a checklist for businesses preparing for Brexit that you can access here.

    Identity verification Click to get info

    Waltham Forest is offering the full range of services available to support EU residents to stay in the borough. This includes offering assistance on settled status applications 7 days a week in our two busiest libraries (Walthamstow and Leytonstone) and since launching the service we have supported over 250 people to complete their settled status application.

    We are available to support residents with completing digital applications or to verify identity documents and we are accredited and advertised by Central government for both services.

    If you are an EU citizen who wants to continue to live in the UK, or are from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you can also find important information on how to apply to stay in the UK from the Government here.

    Further information Click to get info

    You can find information on visiting Europe after Brexit on the Government's website here.

    If you or a member of your family is a UK national living in the EU outside the UK, visit this page.