Listed buildings Click to get info
A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of architectural or historical interest. We are responsible for considering applications to demolish a listed building, or make any alteration or extension that would affect its character as a building of architectural or historical interest.
You can find a full list of listed buildings in Waltham Forest on the Historic England website.
Lloyd Park conservation area appraisal and management plan consultation Click to get info
The Council has produced a draft Appraisal and Management Plan for the Lloyd Park Conservation Area. The purpose of the Appraisal and Management Plan is to ensure that the Lloyd Park Conservation Area is carefully managed to preserve and/or enhance the special character of the Conservation Area. The Council has a statutory duty to preserve or enhance the character or appearance of conservation areas and this document will assist the Council in undertaking the duty.
Note: This consultation is NOT concerned with the designation of a new conservation area. The Council is asking for views on an Appraisal and Management Plan for a Conservation Area which has already been designated.
We are currently consulting local residents and businesses until 24 March 2017.
The document can be found here
We would like to hear your views and suggestions.
Please write to:
Town Hall Complex
E 17 4JF
Or Email your comments to email@example.com
Lloyd Park conservation area Click to get info
Bakers Arms conservation area Click to get info
Walthamstow St James conservation area appraisal and management plan Click to get info
The western end of Walthamstow High Street and some of St James Street was designated by the council as a conservation area in September 2002.
Conservation areas are places of special architectural or historic interest. Local authorities have powers (under Section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990) to designate as a conservation area, 'an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character and appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.'
It is the duty of the council from time to time to formulate and publish proposals for the preservation and enhancement of conservation areas. These documents are known as conservation area appraisals and management plans.
Waltham Forest heritage plaques Click to get info
Waltham Forest contains a wide variety of heritage plaques identifying a diversity of sites and buildings of historic or architectural interest. This long established tradition still continues today with the English Heritage blue plaque scheme for sites of national importance and the council's own Waltham Forest Heritage plaque scheme for sites of more local interest.
The following list identifies the sites of commemorative plaques in Waltham Forest as at April 2011.
Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. Here stood the Old Watch House or 'Cage'. Erected in 1765. Removed in 1912".
Fire Station, 341/343 Forest Road E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. Directly opposite stood Elm House (demolished in 1898 ) in extensive grounds, the birthplace of William Morris 24 March 1834".
William Morris Gallery, Forest Road E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. William Morris 1834-1896 lived here 1848-1856. Edward Lloyd Publisher lived here 1857-1885".
41/43 Billet Road, Walthamstow E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. Site of "Moones" where lived George Monoux Mayor of London Local benefactor 1477-1543".
Essex Hall site, Billet Road E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. Site of Essex Hall Rev E Cogan's Academy 1802-1828 Benjamin Disraeli a student".
Walthamstow House, Shernhall Street E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. Sir Robert Wigram, MP, 1744-1830 High Sheriff of Essex Merchant lived here".
Woodford County High School, High Road Woodford
"Borough of Walthamstow. Highams built 1768 Landscape Gardens by Humphrey Repton 1794".
Former Vestry Road sorting office E17
"Borough of Walthamstow. The Playground opposite was part of Bury Field or Church Common enclosed 1850".
536-542 High Road Leyton E10
"The site of the Great House erected by Sir Fischer Tench. Bart. Circa 1700. Thomas Oliver lived there 1750-1803. Erected by L.U.D.R.A. 1909".
742 High Road Leytonstone E11
"Sir Morrell Mackenzie was born here July 7th A.D. 1837. Erected by L.U.D.R.A. 1909".
Etloe House, 180 Church Road Leyton E10
"Cardinal Wiseman, first Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster lived here 1858 - 1864. Erected by L.U.D.R.A. 1909". (Plaque now totally concealed by ivy if still in existence).
Railway Arches, Walthamstow Marshes
"Greater London Council. Under these arches Alliott Verdon Roe assembled his Avro No1 triplane. In July 1909 he made the first all-British powered flight from Walthamstow Marsh".
25 Carnarvon Road Leyton E10
"Greater London Council. Solomon J Plaatje 1876 - 1932 black South-African writer and campaigner for African rights lived here".
42 Oak Hill Gardens, Woodford Green
"James Hilton 1900 - 1954 Novelist and Scriptwriter lived here".
Quest Factory, Jubilee Avenue Highams Park E4
"Plastics Historical Society. On this site from 1897-1971 stood the Halex factory of the British Xylonite Company".
Mill Plain Epping Forest (near Oak Hill Gardens)
"Gipsy Rodney Smith MBE who preached the Gospel of Christ to thousands on five continents for seventy years was born here on 31st March 1860 and called home journeying to America on 4th August 1947. What hath God wrought".
Oak Hill Court, Oak Hill, Woodford Green
"Festival of Britain Award for merit 1951".
Site of 517 High Road Leytonstone E11
"Alfred Joseph Hitchcock the famous film director was born near this site at 517 High Road Leytonstone on August 13th 1899. Died April 24th 1980".
694a-698a High Road Leytonstone E11
"Grade II Listed buildings. Late 18th century Georgian terrace erected for wealthy merchants and businessmen. Extensive grounds now largely developed in the 19th and early 20th century. 694a once the home of Benjamin Cotton".
Former Langthorne Hospital, Thorne Close E11
" Langthorne Hospital. Grade II Listed building. Erected in 1840 as the West Ham Union Workhouse on land originally owned by Stratford-Langthorne Abbey. Renamed in 1948".
Lea Bridge Road Library Leyton E10
" Carnegie Library. Grade II Listed building. Designed by W Jacques and erected in 1905. Funded by Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish born philanthropist and steel magnate from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania".
Clyde Place Leyton E10
" Jack Cornwell V.C. 1900-1916. Adjacent to this site stood Clyde Cottage birthplace of John Travers Cornwell the youngest recipient of the Victoria Cross posthumously awarded for bravery at the Battle of Jutland in World War I".
8 Wellington Road, Leyton E10
" Lena Kennedy 1914-1986. The famous East-end born best selling author lived and worked in this house for many years".
Bakers Almshouses, Lea Bridge Road E10
"Bakers Almshouses. Grade II Listed building. Designed by Thomas Edward Knightly FRIBA in an Italianate style, and built between 1857 and 1866 for the London Master Bakers Benevolent Institution".
Leyton Library, High Road E10
" Leyton Library. Grade II Listed building. Designed by John Knight in an Italianate style and opened in 1882 as Leyton Town Hall. Outgrown by 1892 and replaced by the new Town Hall alongside. Later adapted to serve as a public Library".
Leyton Municipal Offices, High Road E10
"Leyton Town Hall. Grade II Listed building. Designed by John Johnson in a rich eclectic style after a competition involving over 30 entries. Erected 1894-96 to replace the original public offices now Leyton Library".
Leyton Youth Centre (building), High Road E10
"Essex Cricket Pavilion. Grade II Listed building. Designed by Richard Creed FRIBA and erected in 1886 for the Essex County Cricket Board. Official Club headquarters until 1934".
Leyton Youth Centre sports ground, High Road E10
"Essex County Cricket Club moved from Brentwood to Leyton in 1885 and remained here for nearly 50 years. The ground was the scene of the world record opening stand of 555 by Sutcliffe and Holmes in 1932".
St Mary's Church, Church Road E10
"St Mary's Church. Grade II* Listed building. Leyton parish church dating back in parts to the mid 17th century although much altered. Domesday book records two priests in 1086, so the current church probably occupies the site of a much earlier building".
National Spiritualist Church, Vestry Road E17 - "Locally Listed building. Originally St Mary's National School erected in 1819 on part of the Workhouse Acre. It was designed to accommodate a master and mistress plus 200 pupils".
Adjacent to the National Spiritualist Church, Vestry Road E17
"Walthamstow Fire Engine House. For most of the 19th century this small building housed the Walthamstow parish fire "engine". Manually operated and originally hand-drawn, it was adapted to the horse in 1863"
Happy Child pre school Nursery, 14B Orford Road E17
" The Old Town Hall. Grade II Listed building. The first Waltham Forest Town Hall erected in 1876, originally incorporating an earlier public hall. Replaced by the present Town Hall in Forest Road in 1941 and for many years part of Connaught Hospital. Restored 1994".
The Nag's Head PH, Orford Road E17
"The Nag's Head. Locally Listed building. Erected in 1857 by Francis Wragg as a replacement for the original village Inn which stood on the corner of Orford Road/Church End. Wragg ran the local stagecoach service to London and also built the adjacent coach houses for his use"
The Register Office, Grove Road E17
" The Old Vicarage. Locally Listed building. Erected in 1883 to designs by Habershon and Fawckner as the original Vicarage to St Stephen's Church which stood nearby. It was converted to a Registry Office in 1924".
Leytonstone House, High Road Leytonstone E11 - "Leytonstone House. Grade II Listed building. 18th century house originally the home of Sir Edward North Buxton. From 1868-1936 Bethnal Green School for the juvenile poor".
New Testament Assembly church, Langthorne Road E10
"Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel. Grade II Listed building. Designed by P Morley Horder in 1899 in an Arts and Crafts style. Named after Fetter Lane Church in the City of London (established in 1660) which moved to Leyton in 1894".
Friday Hill House, Simmons Lane E4
"Friday Hill House. Grade II Listed building. Designed by Lewis Vulliamy and erected in 1839, Friday Hill House was the last Manor house of Chingford Earls and home of the Boothby-Heathcote family".
Low Hall Pumphouse, Low Hall Lane E17
"Low Hall Pump House. Grade II Listed building. Victorian sewerage pumping station built by Walthamstow Urban District Council in 1885, with two surviving C-type steam engines circa 1897".
Highams Park signal box, Hale End Road E4
"Highams Park Signal Box. Locally Listed building. Erected in 1925 by the London and North Eastern Railway Company and one of the few that survive on the Chingford line today. Saved from demolition in 2002 it is now leased to the Highams Park Signal Box Association".
24 Silverdale Road, Highams Park E4
"Lt. Col. Vincent C Richmond OBE 1893-1930. The designer of the ill-fated R101 airship lived here as a boy, attending the nearby Selwyn Avenue school. He was one of 48 who perished when the R101 crashed near Beauvais, France in October 1930. Richmond Crescent was named in his honour".
499 Hale End Road, Highams Park E4
"Sir George Edwards 1908 - 2003 The internationally famous aircraft designer, who was responsible for both the Concorde and the Vickers Viscount, was born here, above his fathers toyshop. As a boy he attended the nearby Selwyn Avenue school".
2 Kings Road, Chingford E4
"Former Chingford Fire station. Locally Listed building. The original home of the Chingford voluntary fire brigade, erected in 1899 by Chingford Urban District Council for the sum of £300. It remained in use until replaced by a new fire station in the Ridgeway in the late 1920's".
73 Woodberry Way, Chingford E4
"Sunnyside Lodge. Locally Listed building. The former gatekeeper's lodge to "Sunnyside", a substantial mid 19th Century house of 10 bedrooms, over the site of which Woodberry Way and Sunnyside Drive were laid out in the 1920's and 30's".
Chingford Infants school, Kings Road E4
"Chingford Infants school. Locally Listed building. Designed by Walter Stair and erected in 1856 by Robert Boothby-Heathcote (1805-1865), Rector of the parish and Lord of the Manor. The original schoolroom, sandwiched between later 19th century crosswing additions, could house 49 mixed infants".
Fairwood Court, Fairlop Road E11
"Fanny Craddock 1909 - 1994. On this site until 1930 stood a house called Apthorp, birthplace of the famous TV cookery expert Fanny Craddock; born Phyllis Pechey".
Hawkwood Lodge, Yardley Lane E4
" Hawkwood Lodge Locally Listed building. The only surviving structure from the Hawkwood estate erected by Richard Hodgson in the late 1840's. Hawkwood House itself was demolished following bomb damage in 1944. Hodgson was Lord of the Manor of Chingford St Pauls from 1844 - 1866".
Chingford Mount Cemetery, Old Church Road E4
"Chingford Mount Cemetery - Developed in1884 by the Abney Park Cemetery Company on land originally called "Caroline Mount", named after the landowner. The original Chapel and gatelodges are now gone but the impressive gates, railings, and gate piers survive".
Manze's, 76 High Street E17
"Manze's Pie and Mash Shop. Locally Listed Building. Originally from Ravello in Italy, the Manze family emigrated in 1878 and founded an empire of fourteen pie and mash shops across London. In 1929 Luigi Manze rebuilt 76 High St in it's present form".
The Cock PH, High Street E17
"The Cock Tavern. Designed by Hill and Fletcher Architects and erected in 1880. The Coach house and stables were added in 1888. A tavern is first mentioned on this site in 1747".
16 College Road E17
"James Hilton 1900 - 1954. The noted author and scriptwriter lived here from 1906 - 1921, and as a boy attended Sir George Monoux Grammar School. His most memorable works include Goodbye Mr Chips, Lost Horizon and Random Harvest".
Woodside Primary School, Wood St E17
" Woodside School. Locally Listed building. Opened in 1899 with places for 1466 pupils, Woodside was one of thirteen permanent new schools erected by the Walthamstow School Board between 1880 and 1903 to cater for the needs of the vastly increased population of the time".
Waltham Forest College, Forest Road E17
" Waltham Forest College. Erected in 1938 as the South West Essex Technical College, Walthamstow Art School has contributed to the careers of numerous local talents. Ian Dury the musician, Peter Blake the artist, Ken Russell and Peter Greenaway the film-makers all attended in the 1950's and 60's".
1 Connaught Road E17 - "Frederick Bremer 1872 - 1941. Between 1892-1894 in a small workshop in the garden of this house, Fred Bremer and Tom Bates constructed the first British car powered by an internal combustion engine. In 1931 he donated it to Vestry House Museum where it can still be seen today".
Pole Hill Obelisk, E4
"T E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) - Until conveyed to the Corporation of London in September 1930, 18 acres of land at the top of Pole Hill was owned by T E Lawrence, the famous soldier, writer and scholar. It was here that he originally intended to erect a house with his friend Vyvyan Richards in which to print fine books including his classic "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". This never came to pass, although until 1922 Richards lived here in a hut called "cloisters".
Thorpe Hall School, Hale End Road E4 - "Thorpe Hall Primary School. Locally listed building. Erected in 1935 by Walthamstow Borough Council on the site of Thorpe Hall, where the Elizabethan poet and courtier George Gascoigne once lived".
94/96 Oak Hill Woodford Green
"The Tottenham Outrage. On this site until the 1930's stood oak cottages, where in 1909 Jacob Lepidus, a Latvian "anarchist" was killed after a two hour running gun battle. It was the climax to a chase which left four dead and fifteen wounded following a wages snatch in Tottenham."
99a High Street E17 - "Salvation Army Citadel - Catherine Bramwell Booth 1883-1987 - Erected between 1891-2 on the site of "Bull's Boxing Booths", this building originally formed the entrance to the Citadel at which Catherine Bramwell Booth, grand daughter of Salvation Army founder General William Booth was Captain in 1906/7".
Oliver Road E10 - "Leyton Orient Football Club - Established as Glyn Cricket Club in 1881 by former students of Homerton College and named Orient in 1888 after the shipping line. Renamed Clapton Orient in 1898, the O's moved to Brisbane Road in 1937 and the Club changed it's name to Leyton Orient after WWII."
Rigg Approach E10 - "Lea Bridge Stadium - On this site stood Lea Bridge Stadium, the home of Lea Bridge Speedway team 1928-1938 and Clapton Orient football club. The O's moved to this site from nearby Millfields Road in 1930 before moving to Brisbane Road in 1937."
1a Warner Road E17 - "Former Pretoria Avenue School - Erected in 1888 by Walthamstow School Board, and included the Rt Hon Arthur Bottomley MP, one-time Mayor of Walthamstow as a former pupil. In 1955 it became a Special Needs School and in 1988 the first Disability Resource Centre in England".
22 Oak Hill Gardens -"Walthamstow Windmill - Oak Hill Gardens was laid out in 1912 on the site of the former Walthamstow Windmill. Erected in 1676 on "Tile Kiln Hill" by John Hawkes of Whitechapel, the Mill was demolished in the early 1800's"
The Bull on the Green, The Green, Chingford E4 - "The Bull and Crown. Grade II Listed building - Erected in 1899 by Taylor Walker and Company and designed in French Second Empire style. It was built to cater for the vast influx of visitors to the nearby Epping Forest and replaced an earlier 18th century inn".
31 Corn Way, Leytonstone E11 - "ARP depot Harrow Green School - In memory of the five local Civil Defence volunteers and the six man crew of the Vickers Wellington bomber X9905 who perished when the aeroplane crashed on this site on the night of February 10th 1942".
Conservation leaflets Click to get info
- Browning Road conservation area (1.78MB PDF file)
- Chingford Green conservation area (1.4MB PDF file)
- Highams area of special character (1.8MB PDF file
- Leucha Road conservation area (1.23MB PDF file)
- Ropers Field conservation area (1.86MB PDF file)
- Walthamstow Village conservation area (1.42MB PDF file)
- Woodford Green conservation area (1.29MB PDF file)
- Listed buildings in Waltham Forest 2008 (640KB PDF file)
- Orford Road conservation area (776KB PDF file)
Article 4 directions Click to get info
Article 4 directions have been applied to most conservation areas to retain high quality architectural features, and make sure any changes are considerate of their surroundings.
These directions restrict permitted development rights within a specified street or area.
They only apply to houses used a single dwelling house, because commercial properties and flats don't have permitted development rights.
If you are in doubt whether planning permission is required, please contact the council before making any alterations to your property.
The Article 4 directions are as follows
- Browning Road conservation area (PDF 365 KB)
- Thornhill Road conservation area (PDF 276 KB)
- Chingford Green conservation area (PDF 227 KB)
- Forest School conservation area (PDF 198 KB)
- Leytonstone conservation area (PDF 310 KB)
- Ropers Field conservation area (PDF 241 KB)
- Orford Road conservation area(PDF 490 KB)
- Town and Country Planning Act 1971 (PDF 273 KB)
- Woodford Green conservation area (PDF 668 KB)
Contact Click to get info
Sycamore House Waltham Forest Town Hall Complex Forest Road
020 8496 3000