The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 (CNEA) Click to get info
The CNEA provides for 5 Dog Control Orders (DCOs):
- Failing to clean up after your dog
- Dog free areas
- Putting a dog on a lead when asked to do so
- Keeping a dog on a lead at all times
- Restricting the number of dogs that can be walked at a time
In 2006 Waltham Forest made DCOs under the new CNEA. These orders have been in place for seven years and in that time many of our parks and open spaces have changed – the orders now need updating to provide a consistent approach across the borough.
A formal consultation into controls that define where dogs are allowed off the lead and where owners are required to pick up mess after their dog ran from 1 July 2013 until 12 August 2013. On the 12th November 2013 Cabinet agreed the proposed amendments to the existing dog control orders.
The amended orders came into force on 6 January 2014.
The council has compiled a list of frequently asked questions about Dog Control Orders.
Dog fouling Click to get info
Dog exclusion areas Click to get info
Dogs on leads Click to get info
Dogs on leads by direction Click to get info
This order gives authorised officers the power to ask for a dog to be put on a lead in situations where they are not under the appropriate control of their owner or where they are causing damage or acting aggressively towards other dogs or park users.
Dog walking limits Click to get info
Under this order no one may walk more than six dogs by themselves at one time
To report a dog walking limit offence, please use the Report a dog enforcement problem form.
Places where dogs can be walked off the lead Click to get info
- Ainslie Wood, Ainslie Wood Road, E4
- Cambrian Gardens, Capworth Street, E10
- Chase Lane Park, York Road, E4
- Cheney Row, Billet Road, E17
- Chestnuts Fields - behind Town Hall, Forest Road, E17
- Epping Forest
- Higham Hill Recreation Ground, Sutton Road, E17 (Designated Dog exercise area)
- Kitchener Road Park, Kitchener Road, E17
- Knotts Green, Leyton Green Road, E10
- Larkswood Playing Fields, Larkswood Road, E4
- Lee Valley Playing Fields, Waltham Way, E4
- Lee Valley Park
- Lloyd Park E17 (Designated dog exercise area)
- Mallinson Park Woods, High Road, Woodford Green
- Jubilee Park, off Church Lane, E10
- Mansfield Park, Mansfield Hill E4 (Designated dog exercise area)
- Pimp Hall Nature Reserve, Kings Road, E4
- River Lea towpath
- The Highams Park, Keynsham Avenue, Woodford Green
- The Linear Park, Grove Green Road, E11
- Wadham Avenue Open Space, Wadham Avenue, E17