Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

Births, deaths and marriages


The Register Office will be offering limited services, residents can not register a birth, obtain a wedding or civil partnership licence or give notice to get married until further notice. 

As per Government guidelines, all public ceremonies have had to be postponed until further notice. 

Deaths or stillbirths must now be registered by phone.

Residents who wish to register a stillbirth or death, will no longer be able to book an appointment online. 

Effective immediately, please call 0208 496 3708 to register a death and a member of the team will assist you.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If this has affected you, a member of the register office we will contact you once the current regulations have been relaxed.

If you are looking to register a birth or death, or give notice to get married, our registrars service is now available for more hours. It's also available at two new locations in both Walthamstow and Leytonstone Libraries.

You can book your appointments online as usual where a choice of locations is now available. Our death registration service continues at Whipps Cross and you can still book ceremonies at Grove Road. Please click the appointment type you require for further details.

Before you can have a marriage or civil partnership ceremony you need a marriage licence.

To get a marriage licence each person must give notice in person at the Register Office.

If both of you are British or EU citizens you:

  • must give notice at least 28 days before the ceremony
  • give notice in the borough each of you live in
  • do not need to attend the appointment together

If one or both of you is a non-European Economic Area (EEA) citizen, you:

  • must give notice at least 70 days before the ceremony  
  • can give notice at any designated office and;
  • must attend your appointment together

If one or both of the couple is housebound or detained in prison, we can arrange to visit you.

Changing ceremony venue

You must know the ceremony venue when you give notice. If you change the venue, you will have to give a fresh notice, which will mean paying the fee again and waiting for the notice period again.

To give notice couples must have:

  • lived in Waltham Forest or your district for at least 8 full days (full day is 24 hours) before giving notice
  • 9 clear days’ residence in the borough if travelling from overseas for a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales
  • written consent from your parents if aged between 16 and 18 by completing the consent to marriage form​

If you plan to hold your marriage or civil partnership in a different area, you should also contact the local register office for that area before you give notice, to make sure officials will be there on the day.

Fees must be paid online when you book your appointment.

There is a non-refundable booking fee for each person wishing to give notice. There is an additional fee if one or both of you are subject to immigration control which is £24 in total.

Please note that if you do not attend your notice appointment or produce incorrect or insufficient documents and your notice cannot be taken then you will have to pay again for another appointment. So you must read the guidance before attending your appointment.

If you make changes to your booking in 24 hours of the appointment you will have to pay the fee again.

These non-refundable booking fees are as follows:​ 

Days Prices
Monday to Friday (per person) £35 
Saturday (per person) £45

​​​If you don't have a computer, visit a Library Plus branch to use our self-service to log your request/report. Someone will be there to help you if you need it.

Please note with effect from the 1 November 2017 there will a fee to be paid which has been set by the government for those who have been divorced outside of the United Kingdom. Divorces that have taken place in a foreign country require clearance from the General Register Office before your ceremony can take place. Please note this fee will be payable on the day of your notice appointment. We do not accept cash payments, payment made can only be taken via debit or credit card.                                 

Divorce documents that can be cleared locally   £50
Divorce documents sent to GRO for consideration and clearance £75


Coming to the appointment Click to get info

On the day of your appointment:

  • Allow time to park as it can be difficult to find space in the area

  • Let staff at  reception know that you are here for your appointment

  • Bring all your supporting documents with you - failure to have the correct documents may mean that your appointment cannot go ahead - you will have to make a new appointment and be charged again

  • If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you will be asked to re-book your appointment and pay a new fee.

I don't speak English

If one of you doesn't speak English, you must bring an interpreter with you. This can be a family member or friend who understands English.

You will not be able to interpret for each other and we can't arrange an interpreter for you.

If you are a British/EU citizen

You must both bring the following documents to prove your name, age and nationality:

Valid passport/ ID card or

  • Full British birth certificate (if you were born after 1 January 1983 you must prove your parents' nationality with their passport or birth certificate) Also you must bring the full certificate showing your parents details the short copy is not accepted.
  • EEA (European Economic Area) National identity card

Proof of address for each person. This must be one of the following:   

  • Utility bill (gas, water or electricity) dated within the last 3 months
  • Council Tax bill - most recent
  • Bank statement - dated within last month
  • Mortgage statement - dated within the last 12 months
  • Council/housing association tenancy agreement
  • Valid UK Driving Licence
  • Letter from the owner or proprietor

If you are an EEA Citizen (British / European) and wish to marry a non EEA Citizen or someone subject to immigration control you will BOTH need to bring:

  • proof of identity – valid passport
  • proof of address (as above)
  • a passport sized picture each
  • proof of status/visa – (evidence of settled or permanent residence, a marriage or civil partnership visa or exemption from immigration control)

If any of these documents are not in English, a translation of the documents will be required. 

The translation must be signed by the translator with their contact details and they must certify that it is a true translation.​

You must bring originals, we do not accept photocopies.

If you have been divorced or widowed, please also bring:

Read the GOV.UK guidance on giving notice as a foreign national.

Before you give notice, you should make sure that you are able to satisfy the laws 

If your divorce has taken place outside of the United Kingdom please refer to the section above 'how much does it cost to give notice?' as of 1 November 2017 there will be a new fee introduced.

What happens next? Click to get info

After your appointment, your notice will be displayed in a public folder in the Register Office for 28 clear days.

The marriage licence will be issued to the district of where you will be getting married.

If you’re subject to immigration control, the Home Office must give clearance before the marriage licence can be issued.

A notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months.

Please contact the Register Office, if you need a special licence for the marriage or civil partnership to take place elsewhere because one of the couple is seriously or terminally ill. 

Getting married abroad Click to get info

Use the GOV.UK tool to find out what you need to do to get married abroad.

If you don't have access to a pc, why not visit a Library Plus branch ​where you can use a self-service pc to log your request/report. Staff are available to support you if you need it.

The Civil Partnerships Opposite-sex Couples Regulations 2019 has now been approved in Parliament.

The regulations will come into force on 2 December 2019.

We are able to now take bookings for couples to give notice from 2 December 2019 which will allow the first civil partnerships under the standard procedure to be formed from 31 December 2019.

Contact Click to get info

If the information above has not answered your questions, you can email the Register Office.