How do I register a birth? Click to get info
You should register a birth in the district where the baby was born. If your baby was born in Waltham Forest, please make an appointment using our online booking system.
Registering a baby not born in Waltham Forest Click to get info
To register a baby in Waltham Forest who was born outside of the borough, you must give details of the birth by declaration.
How does declaration work?
- We'll take details of the registration and post them to the registrar of the area where the baby was born
- The registrar in that office will make the entry in the birth register
- They'll post the free short birth certificate to you
- Full birth certificates cost £4 each, but payment can only be made by cheque or postal order, payable to the receiving Register Office
Allow at least 7 working days from giving the birth declaration to receiving the documents. If you've not received anything after this time, contact the Register Office for the area in which the birth took place.
How much will it cost? Click to get info
Registering a birth is free.
With effect from 1 November 2017 you will no longer receive a short free birth certificate however you can purchase a short version at the time of the registration. All certificates are £4 each.
You are advised to purchase a minimum of 3 full certificates to be used for official purposes.
When you make your booking you'll be asked for payment by debit or credit card.
You can buy extra certificates at your registration appointment. Certificates ordered after the day of registration are more expensive.
Please note should you require further certificates on the day of registration, payment method will be via debit or credit card only. We do not accept cash.
If you need a copy of a birth certificate, read our copy certificate information for costs and how to apply.
More information Click to get info
Read the GOV.UK guide to registering a birth for more information, including:
- What you should bring to your appointment
- Who can register a birth
- Birth certificates
- Organisations to contact about the birth (such as Child Benefit)