A major improvement for this area is coming to Market Parade, 778 to 782 High Road, Leyton, E10 6AE.
This property, which has been vacant for several years, was formerly a Morrisons supermarket. It is owned by London and Quadrant (L&Q) and is on a long lease to Waltham Forest Council.
Arbeit Studios will be renting the facility from Waltham Forest Council. The space will become a new creative hub in this part of the borough promoting fashion industry as part of the partnership with London Fashion District.
Within the building at least 10 studios will be created as well as a flexible public area where events and courses can be held.
One of the studios will be shared by Waltham Forest Council’s Business Growth Investment and Employment Team, Integrating Communities, Waltham Forest Recycling and the London College of Fashion. Residents will be able to engage with ‘Making for Change’ a London Borough of Culture project aimed at activating sustainable change and socio-economic growth through fashion as well as access local employment support and business advice.
What is the timetable?
On Friday 5 April 2019 London College of Fashion held a Fashion catwalk with clothes created from recycled textiles.
On Saturday 4 May 2019 Arbeit Studios held an open day for creative businesses interested in the new studios.
During May 2019 work will take place to create the new interior spaces.
The new studio workspace is scheduled to open from early June 2019.
- Download the Lea Bridge email newsletter 26 November 2019
- Download the Leyton email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the email newsletter for 22 May 2019
- Download the email newsletter for 26 April 2019
As part of the London Fashion District programme events are being held including:
From Thursday 27 June until Sunday 21 July 2019 there is a Fashion Now and Fashion Futures 2030 exhibition at Arbeit Workshops, Market Parade, Leyton Green.
Events held as part of the London Fashion District have included:
- Wednesday 12 June, Educating Fashion Designers, Communicators and Entrepreneurs of the Future lecture by Centre for Sustainable Fashion (CSF).
- Thursday 6 June, Zero Waste Pattern Cutting Workshop by London College of Fashion and Forest Recycling Project.
- Thursday 23 May, Creative Repairs Workshop by London College of Fashion and Forest Recycling Project.