Following a positive response to the public consultation held in July 2017, works on the junction improvements will take place between May 2019 and summer 2020.
Blackhorse Road junction is a key public transport interchange in the borough and upgrading the junction to better meet the needs of the local community is a priority for the Council.
We know that with the recent opening of the Walthamstow Wetlands and 2,500 new car free homes being created by local regeneration, the area will get busier so we need to make sure it is easy and safe to get around.
As more people choose to live, work, and visit Waltham Forest we expect to see an increase in the use of walking, cycling and public transport services as the primary modes of transport.
The changes to the junction, as well the section of Forest Road between the station and the reservoirs, aim to support this shift to more sustainable methods of transport, benefiting residents, commuters, and helping to support the vibrant economy.
In September 2018 the newly upgraded Blackhorse Road Station was officially opened. It will support the regeneration of the Blackhorse Lane area to benefit residents and businesses.
The £900,000 project was jointly funded by Transport for London and the Greater London Authority, working with Waltham Forest Council, and included new ticket barriers and customer information systems.
What is proposed?
Changes to the area include:
- creating wider pavements to cater for more pedestrians
- making the junction more attractive with trees and high quality materials
- improving the bus facilities
- introducing new segregated cycle tracks
- improving pedestrian access to better connect local people to surrounding communities, public spaces, local amenities, and other public transport services.
Further details are available on the Highways Improvement Map
- Download the Blackhorse Lane email newsletter 24 June 2019
- Download the Blackhorse Junction letter to residents 19 June 2019
- Download the Blackhorse Junction letter to residents 10 May 2019
- Download the Blackhorse Junction email newsletter 10 April 2019
Changes during construction work
During the phased construction period please bear in mind the following:
- There will be a reduction in the amount of cycle parking outside Blackhorse Road station
- During peak times there may be some congestion, please plan your journey accordingly and use alternative routes or transport where possible
- There will be work signs and barriers present, please take note of these to make sure you stay safe when traveling through the junction
Pedestrian and cycle crossing points will change regularly, download the map
We apologise for any inconvenience caused during construction and we hope that you will bear with us so we can make these improvements to the area as soon as possible.
- On Twitter: #BlackhorseJunction
- By signing up for our email newsletter
- Email: Enjoy Waltham Forest
- Stakeholder Relations and Community Engagement Manager, Keith Brown
To see work progressing at the site check out these timelapse camera views:
Download the Blackhorse Junction letter to residents 10 May 2019