What is planned?
The approved application includes:
- providing 91 new homes for local people including at least 41 affordable homes with 23 for social rent and 18 for shared ownership including three and four bedroom properties suitable for families
- providing a 53-place pre-school nursery with its own play-area on a site close to Walthamstow Central Station making it easy for commuters to use
- providing more green space, including a pocket park at the junction of First Avenue and Hoe Street
- improving the appearance of the area around the gyratory traffic system
- providing new commercial units facing Hoe Street which could provide space for local businesses and employment opportunities for residents
- providing cycle parking
The Council keeping ownership of the land when the development is completed.
The scheme will bring significant benefits for local residents and the wider environment, including air-source heat pumps and solar panels which will provide heating and hot water for the apartments and cooling to the nursery and commercial elements. It is a car free scheme, except for people with disabilities.
The scheme, which complements the improvements to the gyratory system due for completion in Summer 2019, will revitalise a key part of Walthamstow Town Centre by providing new commercial space on Hoe Street.
The finished building will be a quality design landmark as well as providing new amenity space and a much needed nursery.
Who is doing the work?
Hill Partnerships Limited has been awarded the design and build contract for this project.
What happens when?
- Monday 30 July 2018: The first consultation meeting took place to share the vision for the site and receive initial views from residents.
- Monday 22 October 2018: There was a follow up consultation giving more details of the proposed scheme including changes made following previous consultations with residents.
- December 2018: A planning application was submitted and further public consultation took place. See the planning documents.
- Tuesday 7 May 2019: Planning approval was given, subject to a Section 106 agreement and approval by the Mayor of London, for the scheme.
- Summer 2019: Demolition work should start on site
- Spring 2021: Construction completed
- A resident engagement meeting regarding working arrangements for Juniper House redevelopment was held on Tuesday 25 June 2019 at Walthamstow Central Library, High Street, Walthamstow, E17 7JN.
- There are no future meetings planned
Hoe Street Pocket Park
On Wednesday 6 March 2019 residents and businesses were able to comment on initial outline ideas for the proposed Pocket Park at the junction of Hoe Street and First Avenue, near Bru Café.
The design proposals include keeping the Plane trees fronting Hoe Street while making the area a pleasant through route for cyclists and pedestrians as well as a place where people can sit.
Comments on the proposals can be made using this form.
Keeping you informed
Please see the Juniper House E17 website for further information about the proposals, and the opportunity to comment.
- Download the Juniper House email newsletter 07 June 2019
- Download the Juniper House email newsletter 10 May 2019
- Download the Juniper House email newsletter 7 January 2019
- Download the Juniper House email newsletter 26 October 2018
- Download the Have Your Say email newsletter of Wednesday 10 October 2018
- Download the Juniper House email newsletter October 2018
- Download the Juniper House newsletter October 2018
- Download the Juniper House newsletter July 2018
More information is available from: