In 1853 gas production started in Lea Bridge on land accessed from Clementina Road. Further gasholders were built in 1922 and 1962. In 2012 the gasholders were taken out of use and were demolished in 2019.
The former Lea Bridge Gasworks to the south of Clementina Road presents an opportunity for new high quality homes to be delivered on a brownfield site located close to public transport and cycle routes. The former Gasworks is largely vacant and is not publicly accessible. The site is next to a mixture of residential streets, industrial warehouses and playing fields, and is currently accessed directly from Clementina Road.
What is planned for the site?
On this site St William is planning to provide
Around 550 new homes
Communal gardens and play space
Walking and cycling routes to the Marshes and Lea Valley Regional Park
Retaining mature trees to provide a backdrop for the communal areas
New tree planting and landscaping
Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS)
Find out about details of the scheme and give your feedback online before the deadline of Monday 5 August 2019
Who will do the work?
St William Homes LLP held two resident drop in engagement meetings at Lea Bridge Library, Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, E10 7HU on Thursday 14 November 2019, and Saturday 16 November 2019.
What happens when?
- Vegetation will be cleared on the site during October as part of site investigation work. Read the letter to residents
- July 2019 Resident drop-in engagement events
- August 2019 Feedback reviewed
- Autumn 20219 Resident drop-in engagement events
- Monday 4 November site investigation works start for four weeks. Read the letter to residents
- December 2019 Planning application submitted to Waltham Forest Council, statutory period for
- Spring 2020 Expected decision from Waltham Forest Council
St William Homes LLP is planning to hold two resident drop in engagement meetings at Lea Bridge Library, Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, E10 7HU on Thursday 14 November 2019, 4pm to 8pm and Saturday 16 November 2019, 10am to 2pm.
See the information boards for these events.
Two resident engagement meetings were held at Lea Bridge Library, Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, E10 7HU on Thursday 18 July and Saturday 20 July.
- Download the Lea Bridge email newsletter 26 November 2019
- Download the Have Your Say email newsletter 13 November 2019
- Download the Lea Bridge email newsletter 4 November 2019
Keeping you informed
• Email St William
• Email Waltham Forest Council’s Stakeholder Relations and Community Engagement Manager, Keith Brown