Who can apply? Click to get info
To apply you must be able to prove that you are:
- a full time resident of Waltham Forest and
- the owner/ main keeper of the vehicle associated with the permit
Your vehicle must also have a current road tax licence.
Blue Badge Holders
If you live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) and hold a valid Blue Badge, you're entitled to a free, annual residential permit.
Residential parking permits are used to park in residents bays only. If you park on a yellow line or disabled bay, you'll need to display your Blue Badge.
Please provide the usual proofs of vehicle ownership and, if relevant, a copy of your disabled Blue Badge.
Please note, this is limited to one permit per Blue Badge at an address and will only be valid within the residents CPZ.
The resident parking permit must be renewed each year.
Who cannot apply? Click to get info
You can’t apply if:
- you live on a car-free development
- your vehicle exceeds 2.3 meters in height or 5.25 meters in length
- you have any unchallenged Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs)
Where you cannot park Click to get info
You can't use your virtual residents parking permit to park in:
- market traders bays (MT)
- catering bays (CAT)
- short stay bays
- Pay and Display bays
- car parks
- bays designated for a specific reason, such as loading bays
- suspended parking bays
or on single or double yellow lines.
Things you need to know Click to get info
Make sure you renew your virtual parking permit before it expires – the responsibility for renewals rests with you and we don’t send reminders.
Please also note that:
- the information that is provided on the application form may be passed onto third parties by the council in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended) in order to help prevent fraud.
- submission of the permit application form is confirmation that you agree to its terms and conditions of use.
Things you'll need to let us know Click to get info
You should let us know if:
- you stop living within the borough or same controlled parking zone and are in possession of a valid virtual permit
- you change your vehicle and are in possession of a valid virtual permit.
- your vehicle has been stolen and a valid virtual permit is allocated to it
To notify us of a change in relation to the above or anything else, please complete the online form. Alternatively you can notify us by post by downloading the resident parking permit application form (156KB, PDF) and sending it, with the appropriate service fee, to Waltham Forest Parking Control Office.
Costs Click to get info
Vehicles that were first registered before 1 March 2001 are charged according to the engine size (CCs). Vehicles registered after 1st March 2001 are charged according to its emission category (g/km).
|Vehicle type - Engine size/CO2 emissions (g/km)||Cost per household for first permit||Cost per household for second permit||Cost per household for third and subsequent permit|
|101-170g/km or up to 1549cc||£45||£115||£190|
|Over 170g/km or 1549cc||£140||£265||£350|
Changes and refund fees
- Change of VRM – free of charge
- Change of Address - £5
- Refund - £10
Zero CO2 emissions
The council reserves the right to check applications for vehicles with zero CO2 emissions.
DVLA records may say your vehicle has zero emissions when it actually isn’t a zero emissions vehicle. The only zero emissions vehicles currently on the market are full electric vehicles (EV). Where this occurs, permit prices will be based on vehicle engine size.
We may apply additional price increases if incorrect information was provided at application stage.
What evidence do I need to produce? Click to get info
Proof of where you live
You need to prove that you are a resident of a controlled parking zone and that your vehicle is kept within the borough. If your circumstances do not fit the criteria please contact our permit team on email@example.com or call them on 0203 092 0112, option 3 for assistance.
You must provide two documents (dated within the last three months) with your current name and address, for example:
- Council Tax bill/ statement
- utility bill
- rent book / lease agreement
- bank / building society statement
- driving licence/ car insurance
Mobile phone bills will not be accepted.
Proof of ownership (or main keeper)
For a domestic vehicle, please provide one of the following:
- vehicle registration document (V5/ Logbook) showing your own name and address within a controlled parking zone
- copy of insurance schedule documentation confirming your Waltham Forest address and the vehicle is kept within your controlled parking zone
For a company vehicle, please provide a letter on printed company letterhead (with VAT number) confirming:
- where you live
- your employment status within the company
- that you are a major user of the vehicle
Apply for, or renew, your annual resident parking permit Click to get info
We retain the right to carry our random checks on permits to check the information supplied in the application.
You'll need to:
- register your account to use the service if you haven’t already
- have a debit or credit card ready pay for your permit
- have copies of your documents of proof
Photos of documents of proof will be accepted in the following file formats: DOC, DOCX, PDF, GIF, PNG or JPEG file.
If you don’t supply documents when asked, your permit may be cancelled and your vehicle will become subject to enforcement action.
Please allow 1 working day to receive a response from the parking control office about your pending online application.
Renew your parking permit
If you want to renew an existing permit you’ll need to log into your account online within 28 days of your permit expiring. If you have supplied an email address you will receive an email renewal reminder with instructions on how to renew.
Apply by post
To apply or renew by post you'll need to:
- fill out an application form
- send payment, and
- provide documents of proof
Payment should be made by cheque or postal order that is made payable to 'LBWF'. Please do not send cash through the post.
Print controlled resident parking permit application form (718KB PDF file) to apply, or manage permit changes by post.
To get an application form by post, contact our permit team firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 0203 092 0112, option 3 for assistance . Tell us your full name and postal address and your application form will be sent to you within 2 working days.
Apply in person
You can also drop off permit application forms at the following libraries:
This is a drop-off service and your applications won't be checked by a member of library staff. You must include documents of proof and payment with your application form.
If you don't fill in your form fully or include payment it will cause a significant delay to the process of getting your permit.
If you don’t provide telephone and email contact details, your application will be disregarded and your permit won't be issued.
Please allow 10 working days for your permit to arrive if you apply by post or the library drop-off service.
Enquiries and help with your application Click to get info
If you need a postal application form or this permit doesn't meet your needs, please contact our permit team by email email@example.com or call them on 0203 092 0112, option 3 for assistance.
You can register a change of vehicle or report your vehicle stolen using your online account. If you're applying by post, please use us the enquiry form or call the Parking Control Office on the number below.
What if I already have a car with a permit and own a motorcycle as well? Click to get info
Motorcycles are classed separate from cars for purposes of banding, for example if a household has a car with a residents permit and they wish to purchase an additional residential permit for their motorcycle they would pay the ‘1st vehicle’ tariff for the motorcycle.