Selective licensing



We have implemented a new system for online licence applications.

If you experienced problems submitting an application before the 28 February please contact the Property Licensing team.

Most privately rented properties which are let or occupied by a single household or two unrelated people in Waltham Forest must apply for a selective licence, unless an exemption applies.

The existing selective licensing scheme is due to expire on the 31 March 2020

From Friday 1 May 2020 a new selective licence scheme will come into force and will apply to 18 out of 20 designated wards in Waltham Forest excluding Hatch Lane and Endlebury wards.

The scheme was approved by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government on Tuesday 21 January 2020, see the public notice for more information.

Most privately rented properties will need to be licensed  under the new scheme, unless they are located in in Hatch Lane or Endlebury wards.

The council will offer an early-bird discount of £250 on selective licence applications received between Friday 1 May 2020 - Friday 31 July 2020

During the early-bird period, the licence fee will be £450 a saving of £250 per licence, with a further discount of £100 available for certain multiple properties.

Each licence can last up to a maximum of 5 years or until the scheme expires on 30 April 2025.

A selective licence, for properties occupied by a single family or two unrelated people, will not be required after 31 March 2020 in Endlebury and Hatch Lane wards.

Please note - some properties that have previously had a selective licence may now need a different licence if they are rented to three or more unrelated occupiers. These licences, which in some cases will replace a selective licence, will still be required for properties in Hatch Lane and Endlebury wards.

The HMO license schemes include

If you’re the owner of multiple rented properties in the borough, you must complete an application for each property. 

Failure to licence an address is an offence and the council may take legal action, including prosecution, which could result in a conviction and an unlimited fine.

Alternatively, the council may impose a civil penalty of up to £30,000. Any prosecutions or civil penalties served against a landlord will be taken into consideration when deciding if they can be a licence holder. 

Further information may be found in the council’s 

As of 1 April 2016, the fee is £650 for a single dwelling for a licence period of up to five years. From 1 May 2020, the fee will be £700, with a £250 discount for applications received during the early bird period There are certain circumstances where the landlord may be eligible for a discount.

Further information may be found on Licence applications under parts 2 and  3 Housing Act 2004 September 2018  

This fee is non-refundable for submitted applications or if you sell or stop letting your property.

Before you apply Click to get info

Before you start your application, it's essential you read the requirements and property standards of selective licensing.

Preparing your application

You'll need to prepare the information and documentation you need before you start your application. Please read the list of information and documentation required for the application.

Please be aware:

  • all required documents need to be uploaded with the application and need to be in digital form
  • you should arrange to scan your documents so that they are ready to be uploaded as attachments to your application
  • the application system will accept multiple formats including .doc, .docx, .pdf, .xls, .xlsx. Each file must not exceed 2MB
  • supporting documentation is uploaded at the end of the application form, once you have progressed through licence payment

Before you apply, please read:

You may also like to read


Once you have registered for a My Services account, you can complete your licence application(s).

Apply for a selective licence

Please make sure you complete your applications correctly. 

Read the step by step guidance to completing a selective licence.

Payment is made online with a debit or credit online with fees based on your application

If you have a problem with the payment process please phone Property Licensing between 9am and 5pm on 0208 496 4949.

Paying for your licence Click to get info

Payment is made online with a debit or credit online with fees based on your application

If you have a problem with the payment process please phone Property Licensing between 9am and 5pm on 0208 496 4949.

Visit the secure payment page.

Change in circumstances Click to get info

The licence holder and/or their property manager tell us within 10 working days of any changes in their circumstances.

To do this, please use the selective licence enquiry form.

Disagree with a decision? Click to get info

If you disagree with the decision, you're entitled to make a complaint directly to us,

Make a complaint about council services here.

You can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days, if you disagree with any of our decisions.

Residential Property Tribunal
10 Alfred Place

Phone: 020 7446 7700
Fax: 020 7637 1250


By law, we must publish a register of PRPL properties.

Download the public register of licensed properties (2.96MB PDF)

Is the property you're in registered?

If you're a tenant, you can check if the property you're living in has been licensed by searching the register.

If you think your property isn't licensed, or that it doesn't comply with the licensing conditions, please let us know by emailing

Property standards Click to get info

Several of the property licence conditions require landlords to maintain privately rented homes in a reasonable state of internal and external repair.

Please read our set of standards for private rented property.

This document is intended to guide landlords about the standard of repair that we expect from privately rented accommodation. The guidance is aimed at houses and self-contained flats occupied by a single household. It covers reasonable repair and provides information regarding space standards and housing hazards. Additional requirements apply to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) and buildings containing flats.

If you don't have access to a computer, you can visit a Library Plus branch where you can use a self-service PC to log your request/report. Staff are available to support you if you need it.​​​​​​​