Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Free School Meals Click to get info
You must tell us about any changes in circumstance to you or people living with you so you pay the right amount of council tax and get the right benefit.
Even small changes can affect how much benefit you can get.
You may be prosecuted if you deliberately give us false information or don’t tell us of a change in your circumstances to get more benefit than you are entitled to.
You must not rely on someone else like:
- your landlord
- the Job Centre
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- your friend
- other people living with you
You must tell us yourself.
What sort of changes do I need to tell you about? Click to get info
The following are some of the changes you must tell us about.
Use the online change of circumstances form if:
- there is a change in your income or benefits, or in the income or benefits of anyone living with you
- anyone moves in or out of your home
- anyone comes to stay with you (even for a short time)
- your hours change, or you change jobs
- you start or stop working
- your capital or savings increase above £6,000
- you or anyone living with you will be away from home for more than 4 weeks
- you go into or come out of hospital
- you're moving out of Waltham Forest
Use the full benefit claim form if you move:
- into Waltham Forest from another borough
Use the online change in circumstances form if you're moving:
- in the borough and want to claim at your new address
These are only examples of some of the changes you need to tell us about. If you aren’t sure if a change might affect your benefit, then tell us on the form anyway or contact us for more information.
We may ask you to provide evidence to support your claim.
Benefit on two homes
You can ask us to pay your Housing Benefit on two addresses at the same time for up to four weeks. We can pay you this ‘overlapping benefit’ if you’ve moved into your new home and we accept that you couldn’t have reasonably avoided paying two rents at the same time.
How to tell us Click to get info
You can tell us about the change by:
using the online change of circumstance form
calling us on 020 8496 3000 between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday
visiting a Library Plus branch with free internet access to complete an online form and drop off evidence:
North Chingford Library, The Green, Chingford, E4 7EN
Walthamstow Library, High Street, Walthamstow, E17 7JN
Leyton Library, High Road Leyton, E10 5QH
You can only drop off evidence and report a change at the libraries Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, regardless of the library's opening hours.