Copy certificates

Births, deaths and marriages

We hold records for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that were registered in Waltham Forest from 1837 to the present day.

For all our services, please visit our Register Office webpage.

We can only provide copy certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that took place in the borough.

Order a new copy certificate

​Copy certificate for birth, death and marriages Cost​

Collection next day after 1pm

48 hour postal service


Postal - (postal service can take up to 10 to 15 working days) £11
General search of indexes £18


You will need to pay online by ​debit/credit card.

To help us process your application on time::

  • Give as much information as possible: the more information we have, the easier we can find your record
  • Do not provide the General Register Office (GRO) reference as it's different to ours. Applications quoting the GRO reference may be returned unsearched or mean an additional search fee of £10.

How long will it take? Click to get info

Urgent applications, such as birth certificates for passports and marriage certificates for legal purposes, will take priority over family research, unless you are using our priority service.

We can't undertake lengthy searches. We will only make a search if you give accurate details of the registration. If a wider search is required it may be necessary for you to do a record search at the register office.

A standard ancestral research application can sometimes take as long as three weeks to process.

You can also order replacement certificates online.

Collection next day after 1pm

48 hour postal service

Record searches Click to get info

We charge £18 to search the register office indexes for six hours.

Please contact us if you are interested in searching a record.

Please collect your certificate/s between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

Leytonstone Library
6 Church Lane
E11 1HG

If you don't have access to a computer, you can visit a Library Plus branch where you can use a self-service pc to log your request/report.  Staff are available to support you if you need it.​​​​​​​

Contact Click to get info

If the information above has not answered your questions, you can email the Register Office.