Why we need your information and how we use it Click to get info
We are required by legislation to process benefits for those who are entitled. The information we collect and the information provided to us by the Department for Work and Pensions is required for the calculation of your H B ,or CTS claim or FSM.
The relevant legislations applicable are as follows:
- Housing Benefit under Section 131 (1) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 and associated Regulations.
- Council Tax Benefit under Section 139 (1) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 and associated Regulations.
- For Council Tax Support scheme under S13A and Schedule 1a of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and associated Regulations.
- Education Act 1996 and associated Regulations
We will use the information to find out if you are liable (if appropriate) for Council Tax at your address.
We may use your information to help collect debts like Council Tax.
We may use the information held to assist in the recovery of Housing Benefit Overpayments.
What type of information is collected from you Click to get info
In order to calculate HB, CTS, DHP and FSM we collect information about, you, your partner, your children and other adults that live in your household.
This information includes; name, address, date of birth, national insurance number, earned income, benefits and allowances, bank accounts, savings, investments, property ownership, rent paid, tenancy agreements, landlord details, immigration details, school attended by children, phone numbers, email addresses and any other information deemed necessary such as statement of accounts for self employed people.
Who your information may be shared with (internally and externally) Click to get info
We will use your information for the purpose of performing any of its statutory enforcement duties. We will make any disclosures required by law and may also share this information with other bodies responsible for detecting/preventing fraud or auditing/ administering public funds. We may share the details with other organisations that handle public funds and assist in the processing of other benefits.
We will share information with a third party where you have given us written permission to do so.
Where your housing benefit is paid direct to your landlord, we will share limited information with the landlord about payment dates and the amounts of payment. We will share information with Elected Members of the London Borough of Waltham Forest where they are pursing their legitimate functions and with Members of Parliament for the same reason.
How information about you will be used Click to get info
The information held by the council as part of your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support application can be shared with and used by other council services to:
- help decide whether you qualify for help and how much, if anything, you should pay
- help identify and support people who are at risk of becoming homeless
- help identify families who may benefit from the troubled families programme
- help people living in a council or housing association property and who will be affected by the benefit cap and / or under occupation in the social sector (by telling another part of the council or your landlord, they will be able to advise you what you should do next and provide you with any assistance they can).
How long we keep your information Click to get info
We will not keep your information longer than what is necessary. We will retain your information for six years after the last payment on the claim. If a claim has an outstanding overpayment, we will retain your information for six years after full repayment of the overpayment.