Apply for council housing

We are currently upgrading our online housing application.
Housing application online services are unavailable whilst we carry out this change.
This work affects:
  • our housing application system
  • applying for a housing transfer/exchange
  • change of housing circumstance forms
If you need to apply for housing or you have a change in your circumstance, please download the housing application form (PDF)
We apologise for any inconvenience.

Council housing in Waltham Forest is extremely limited. There aren't enough available homes to house everyone who applies. This means that only residents who have the highest priority need will be considered for a council home.

We strongly suggest you try other ways to find a home. We've put lots of information on this site to help you. Please see our affordable homes to rent or buy webpage for details on:

  • affordable home ownership schemes
  • affordable rent schemes
  • affordable rents for key workers
  • self-help guides to finding a home

Apply to be on the Housing Register

Before you can look for a council home, you need to be on the Housing Register. You can apply if you’re over 18 and have lived in the borough for at least the past two years.

The register uses your circumstances to rank your level housing need. These levels are:

  • 'additional preference' category - most council homes are let to people in this highest category of housing need
  • 'reasonable preference' category - less than one in ten homes are let to people in this category
  • 'no preference' category - if you're in this lowest category, you won't be housed

You can see the rules about who gets priority for a transfer in our allocations policy.