Council Tax discounts

Council Tax

You can claim a Council Tax discount if you:

  • live on your own and are 18 or over
  • live with people not counted for Council Tax
  • are on a low income or benefits
  • are in severe financial hardship

If you live on your own and are 18 years old or over, you’re entitled to 25 per cent off your Council Tax bill.

Apply for a Single Person Discount for Council Tax

We calculate Council Tax discounts by the number of adults living in your property. But we don't count students and care workers when we work out how many adults live in your home.

  • If only one of the adults living in your home is counted, you can get a 25 per cent discount. For example, a house with one care worker and one other adult
  • If all the adults living in your home aren’t counted, you can get a 50 per cent discount.  For example, a house of four apprentices.

People who aren’t counted as adults

Select the link below to apply or contact us.

You won’t be counted if you:

Council Tax Support Click to get info

Council Tax Support is a scheme to help you pay your Council Tax if you're on benefits or a low income, whether or not you are working. 

If you are in serious financial hardship and it's not your fault, you can apply for a reduction from the Discretionary Council Tax Hardship Scheme.

We have a limited budget, so help will be for a small amount over a short time.