People who aren't counted for council tax Click to get info
We calculate Council Tax discounts by the number of adults living in your property. But we don't count students and care workers when we work out how many adults live in your home
- if only one of the adults living in your home is counted, you can get a 25 percent discount. For example, a house with one care worker and one other adult
- if all the adults living in your home aren’t counted, you can get a 50 percent discount. For example, a house of four apprentices
People who aren’t counted as adults
Select the link below to apply or contact us.
You won’t be counted if you:
- are a full time student for at least one year
- have a severe mental impairment
- are the second adult in your home where the other adult is in prison, hospital or being detained
- are 18-20 years old and getting Child Benefit
- are under 20 years and will leave school or college between 1 May and 31 October in any year – the disregard will last until 1 November)
- are an apprentice or youth training trainee
- have had to leave your home empty or with one adult because you moved into a care home or hostel
- have had a long stay in hospital
- provide care and support to another person for the council, charity or someone on certain benefits
- are a member of religious community
- are a member of visiting defence forces, foreign defence organisation or international headquarters
- a non-British spouse of a student
Reductions for people with disabilities Click to get info
You may be entitled to a reduction if your home has the following adaptations for an adult or child with a disability:
- a room, without a bathroom, kitchen or toilet, used mainly by the person with a disability
- a second bathroom or kitchen for someone with a disability
- extra floor space inside your home for a wheelchair
We will reduce your bill to the next band down. For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to the amount for a band C property.
Discount when you leave for live in work Click to get info
If you have to leave your furnished property empty because you’ve started 'live in' work, you could be entitled to 50 percent off your Council Tax bill.
Your employer must confirm that you'll be living in their property. To apply for this discount please provide us with your emplotment contract, including the address of the property you'll be living in.
Emailed it to us at email@example.com, with the subject title 'Application for discount – work accommodation'.
Exemptions - properties that aren’t charged Council Tax Click to get info
Council Tax Support Click to get info
Council Tax Extreme Hardship scheme Click to get info
If you are in serious financial hardship and it's not your fault, you can apply for a reduction from the Council Tax Extreme Hardship scheme. We have a limited budget, so help will be for a small amount over a short time.